| On the exam table, before the shots. Poor thing...she doesn't know she's about to get pummeled with needles. |
Corinne had her 4 month doctor's appointment on Tuesday, 9/20/11. I'm glad to report that the 4 month shots went muuuuuuuch better than the 2 month shots. She sure didn't enjoy the insertion of the needles (3 shots in the legs, and one oral vaccine) anymore than she did 2 months prior, but I was prepared this time with Tylenol and a ready boob. I nursed her immediately afterwards which calmed her down, and she even slept the rest of the way home. She had a very slight fever that night, but it didn't seem to bother her.
For the first 24 hours after her shots, I was on top of the Tylenol, giving it every 4 hours. Then the next day, every 8 hours. Then the 3rd day, every 12 hours. She's been a perfect angel. This gives me hope that not all shots will turn her into a rabid beast like the 2 month shots did. Which is good, since we have the monthly Synagis shots starting on 10/12/11. In November she'll get her 6 months shots and the flu shot.
On all of her measurements, she ranged anywhere from the 25th percentile to the 50th percentile (on the preemie adjusted age chart). The Dr was pleased with her progress, and once again commented on how she had such a lovely shaped head (preemies are famous for having oddly shaped heads, apparently).
Apparently, the Dr can also cure skin cancer. For about a week before her appointment, I noticed that she had a black freckle on her head. This thing was BLACK. Blacker than black, even. I knew that according to the ABCs of skin cancer, this black freckle met the "C" and the "E" (the "E" since it recently popped up).
Initially, I thought maybe it was a speck of paint/ink/dust/lint/other foreign body. But it didn't move when I scratched at it, and didn't lessen in intensity after a bath. By the time we went to the Drs, I had mentally already mapped out the scheduling of Corinne's chemo treatments in my mind.
The doctored scratched at it, and off it came. Cancer cured!
I mentally canceled the chemo treatments I had previously made, which freed up our schedule greatly! On the agenda for next week:
-Baby and Me activity at the library (if I get up that early)
-Housecleaners on Tuesday (I bought a groupon for this back in Jan as an "after delivery" treat for myself)
-Free trial class at Gymboree
-Lunch with another stay at home friend one of the days
One aspect of the Dr appointment that I'm side-eying is I was told to start giving Corinne solids in two months. The Dr explained that solids are usually started at six months of age. To which I replied that she'll only be four months (adjusted) age, so it's not like she's -really- six months old. The Dr said it is because breastmilk loses it's nutritional value (in regards to iron) after 6 months.
This doesn't make sense. Corinne is already on a multivitmain with iron each day, so it should be a mute point. I'm suppossed to start giving her rice cereal.
Here's the thing: 500 years ago, rice cereal didn't exist. When we were still hunting and gathering thousands of years ago (which is what our digestive systems our designed towards), it would have made more sense to delay solid foods as much as possible. And yet, babies survived juuuust fine even not eating rice cereal and not having purees. As a whole, I think the U.S. pushes solids too soon. I have a friend whose Dr told her to start feeding rice cereal at two weeks of age! From what I've read, too early introduction of solids can lead to obesity, celiac disease, among other issues.
I'm going to need to do some more research between now and her 6 month appointment in November. The more I research it, the more I think Baby Led Weaning is the way to go. It feels more natural (and seems much more easier!) My spidey-mommy sense is tingling and telling me this is the way to go.
Corinne celebrated her 4 month birthday on Sept 16. We were in CA, so I took her 4 month pictures after we got back home this week. Traveling back home made me remember how much I hate cross country red eye flights. Holding a baby on my lap on a 100% full airplane just adds to the uncomfortable experience. Each time I take the red eye, I mentally promise myself it's the last time. I've made that promise a few times.
On the airport shuttle, I started to get motion sickness. The only other time I got motion sickness on the shuttle was last December, prior to the red eye flight where I spent half the flight puking my guts up and was told by a stewardess that I used the last of the airsickness bags, so I would need to throw up in 30-gallon trash bags.
After I told M I was feeling sick on the shuttle, he said "Maybe you're pregnant again" (since the last time the shuttle made me sick I was pregnant). So after we came home, I took a pregnancy test and....it was negative. I wasn't expecting a positive (breastfeeding + infertility + a sex life that is less than that of a nun's = snowball's chance in hell of pregnancy). But during those three minutes when the pee stick was deciding our fate, I was mentally willing that "+" to come up, and when it didn't, I was disappointed.
Well, 75% disappointed, 25% relieved. I'm enjoying my time with Corinne, and know I wouldn't get to enjoy her as much if I had another infant in 9 months (or with my luck, 7 months). But it would be another cute and snuggly BABY! Another chance at getting the normal birth experience, of finding out what a contraction feels like.
BNut, since I only have ONE baby in the house (besides the cat), I have the luxury of having the time and inclination to take photos like these each month:
| I'm not sure why the cat needs to sit/lay directly on stuff |