M's dad, Daryl, passed away on Saturday, January 7, 2012. He was 65. M went out to visit for almost two weeks in December when we learned that his dad wasn't well. Corinne and I stayed home, as we didn't want to take her on a plane for 5 hours during the height of cold/flu season. Per Daryl's wishes, there won't be any formal service. Rather, he wanted his ashes spread at sea. Maybe, when we go out there (all three of us) to visit M's family this spring, we'll go out on a boat and do it then.
I'm glad that he got a chance to meet Corinne last September, and that he got to experience being a Grandpa. I'm sad that he won't get to see her grow up. Or teach her the finer nuances of playing single deck Blackjack.Or present her with a head-scratcher of a Christmas gift, only to realize how awesome it is: One year, M's dad gave M, his sister, and I all a roll of toilet paper. It turned out to be one of the best and most creative gifts I've ever received. During the unraveling of the toilet paper roll, we found that he taped/glued different small gifts: lotto tickets, photos, collectible coins, $5 and $10 dollar bills, and I even think there was a fifty or hundred dollar bill in there. Every few sheets, there was a new surprise, all the way down to the end of the roll.
The night before his dad passed away, M ad a dream. It was so vivid that he told me about it the nest morning. In the dream , M was carrying around his dad's head. Only the front part of skull was missing, and his head was open up on top. He was carrying around his dad's head in an effort to help his dad find his "essence". I found it interesting that in his dream, his dad's head had the same condition Luke had. It's at times like these that I put down the scientific "must see to believe it" mindset, and start wondering "what if". I wonder if that was Luke's message that he'll meet Daryl on the other side and his soul, or essence, will be found. If that's the case. I hope that Daryl is enjoying meeting the grandson he never got to see. Hopefully, Daryl will teach him how to play single deck Blackjack.
Last night, I had a dream as well. It was the afterlife, but we were in a house with all white walls. I knew it was M's mom house, even though it was a house I've never seen before. It had a "just moved in" feel. I commented to her that I loved the sparse decorating the house had, as it must be so easy to keep clean and tidy (maybe that was my subconscious telling me to go through the junk boxes we have lying around). When I walked into the house, I was trying to find Corinne, but she wasn't there. I then moved onto the next room, and she wasn't there either, but in that room, M, his sister, Daryl, and Daryl's older brother were sitting at a card table playing cards. It was a game similar to Pinochle. Everyone was happy and healthy. I commented to Daryl how young and vibrant he looked.
I hope that wherever he is, he's playing cards and looking great doing it.