Monday, June 20, 2011

5 weeks old

Well, the big news is (aside from being 5 weeks old today), the Dr thinks that Corinne will go home on Wednesday or Thursday OF THIS WEEK!

So, in preparation for her coming home THIS WEEK (yes, capitals are required for news of this magnitude), I met with the nutritionist today to go over how to prepare her meals. They want her to continue eating 26 calories per ounce, and breast milk is only 20 calories an ounce, so I need to add a special preemie formula to her milk. I'm not a fan. I hate formula. It makes her poo stink, it doesn't taste very good, it adds multiple extra steps to her feeding, it's unnatural, the list goes on of why formula is on my sh!t-list. I can't wait until the pediatrician tells us that Corinne can downgrade to just 100% breast milk.

Today, M and I took the infant CPR class. The funniest part of the class was when the instructor went over a list 3 pages long of all the things that are needed to childproof a house (from three different type of outlet covers, depending on how frequently the outlet is used, to all the different types of baby gates that are needed, depending on the location). Then, not less than 20 minutes later, she tells us that a lot of the stuff sold at Babies R Us isn't needed since babies really only need a crib, diapers, and food. I couldn't help myself. I bust out laughing...loudly. The instructor failed to see the irony in her statement.

The other thing that happened today was that Corinne took her car seat test. I needed to place her in the car seat, adjust the straps, and she needed to sit there (strapped in) for 90 minutes without her heart rate/breathing/oxygen saturation levels going out of whack. She passed! Now, all that is left is for her to come home.

Up until now, I haven't really felt like she was OUR baby. Now, I know she is in a rational sense. But, her care is directed by the hospital and the NICU doctors/nurses. So, I've felt like Corinne is THEIR baby. But, this week, she will become ours. I was driving home tonight, grinning like an idiot. I can honestly say, I am so happy right now. She is the prize, the golden goose we have been chasing after since 2007. I feel like my life is complete. I have never been so happy before.

And now for some pictures:

It is amazing how tiny she looks in a car seat. This is the graco snugride 30...one of the few car seats that can accommodate a 4lb baby. When we are out in public with her, and a well-meaning stranger asks how old she is, I don't know how I'm going to answer that question. If I was asked that today, and told them that she was 5 weeks old, they would look at me like I was crazy.

All strapped in a ready for her car seat test!

During the test. The car seat had to be in the base, and she sat there for 90 minutes. She fussed for the first 20 minutes or so (since she wasn't swaddled), but thanks to a full belly (I fed her right before), she slept for the rest of the time.

This picture just cracks me up.

Her first dress