He's starting to be awake for longer stretches now. Sometimes up to 2-3 hours at a time. Just looking around and making weird pirate-like faces. His belly button stub fell off yesterday (at 13 days old). I thought that sucker would never fall off. I guess I'll save it. At least let him make the decision when he's older on if he wants to keep it or not (assuming it doesn't turn to dust by the time he's old enough to decide that).
In clothing size, the newborn onesies are long enough but they are quite tight around the belly. He has his two week check up tomorrow. I'd be surprised if he isn't a fair amount heavier than his birth weight. Dude loves his food. I've started pumping at night instead of breastfeeding, as it's much easier and less time consuming to pump for 15 minutes, and bottle feed (he can down a bottle in 10 minutes, easy), then it is to play the crappy latch game for an hour. I have more patience to play that game during the daytime hours. I will say he is a champion burper. No tricks needed. I sit him upright, pat his back a few times and out they fly.
With bottle feeding, he'll keep eating as long as it's there, which has led to him puking after two feeds before I figured out how much he can take (right now: about 3oz). Even though I try to hold the bottle horizontal to make him work for it more.
Pumping also has the extra benefit of getting enough to not only feed Evan 100% but having enough left over to give Corinne milk too (hopefully helping with her constipation issues). I can usually bank an extra 5oz over the course of a night, which Corinne has as part of her breakfast the next day. Having a nursing toddler (who is über efficient at nursing, I might add) is quite nice. Most of the time Evan will only nurse on one side, leaving the other side feeling full and leaky. Enter the Toddler, who will never turn down a boob. She then nurses on the other side, leaving comfort and a dry shirt for me. Win!
I think I'm going to give him his first bath today. His skin is starting to peel in the creases in his skin and he's kind of ripe smelling. Hopefully a good wash and lotion-up will solve that.
I'm thinking he's going to have brown eyes. In certain light, the slate gray he currently has has tinges of brown in it. We'll see. He has 50/50 odds (if we go by Mendel's simplified genetic formula) of getting my brown over M's blue.
He's still not a fan of the pacifier. I don't understand why both of our kids (who both love to suck, by the way) do not care for the pacifier. Very odd, indeed.
We still need to watch Corinne like a hawk around him, but she is getting better. Last night, she'd stick her finger in her ear, then stick her finger in his ear, then back to her ear. She has a recent fascination with sticking her fingers in people's ears. Still no jealously to speak of, but she is quick to tantrum when she's not being picked up. I don't think she's made the connection that HE is the reason why she's not being picked up.
But the tantrums. Christ on a cracker... The tantrums. It's been nice having my mom here to occupy her so she doesn't tantrum all day long. I'm scared for the time when it's just me and the two kids alone during the day.
Hold me.
I also scared for the lack of sleep. Some of my best sleep is accomplished between 9a and 12p... Hours that Corinne is awake and demanding.
Send wine. And red bull.

