Saturday, August 17, 2013

11m

We have a crawler! Of course, in keeping in line with his sister, he first crawled while upstairs with M while I was downstairs so I didn't see it, even though I'm the stay at home parent.

Thankfully he seemed to catch on really quickly and became a crawling pro pretty much overnight so I didn't have to wait that long to see him in action.

Now, whenever I open up a cabinet, or the pantry, or the dishwasher, or the fridge, I have two kids who are instantly there and trying to grab at stuff. Making dinner I feel like a stealth ninja. I distract in one quadrant of the kitchen then quickly run to another quadrant to grab a pan before they can act upon my movement. Like a cobra. Hissssss.

Tonight, while Evan was grabbing the steak knives from the dishwasher, I turned to M in an exasperated voice and said "knives! Why do they both instantly go for the steak knives?!?"

M replied it was because the handles were black. 

Okay.

And, as he explained further, they can only see in black and white.

Apparently we are raising Cocker spaniels, not children. Bless his heart.

Evan still has separation anxiety, but it primarily comes out when he's tired and at night (I've been trying to sneak out of his room for the past two hours as I type this but he starts screaming the instant I move away.) During the day, though, he will happily crawl into the green room to play with the play kitchen's oven when I'm in another room. Open close open close open close, repeat. 

He's an avid waver and likes to clap his hands. I've been trying to teach him the sign for "more" at mealtime, so I don't know whether he's clapping just to clap or because he wants more. 

Of course teaching Evan "more" with Corinne sitting right next to him has brought it's own set of challenges since she'll start signing "more" for attention.

"Corinne do you want more?"
"No. No."
--She signs "more"--
"Do you want me to get you more?"
"No. NO! NOOOO!"
--She signs "more"--
"Are you all done?"
"No."
"Do you want to sit there like a bump on a log?"
"NOOO! No!"


Evan is babbling a fair amount. He makes pretty much all the consonant "a" sounds: da, ba, ma, etc. 

He's still not pulling to stand, but will try and end up sitting on his knees.

He can throw a ball fairly decently. I'm thinking we nix the 529 and rely on a baseball scholarship. M and I will go to Tahiti with the 529 funds.