Monday, February 14, 2011

One year ago today


In one way, it seems like it was 10 years ago. In other ways, it feels like it was last month.

Exactly one year ago I found out I was pregnant for the first time. Honestly, it was the happiest day of my life. I sat down on the bathroom floor and cried, pee stick in hand. I gave M a bib that said "I love Daddy" on it for Valentine's Day.

M and I were bubbling over with excitement. We called our families with the good news, and it took all my restraint not to jump on bed with joy.

 I really thought I'd get to take that baby home. The idea that I wouldn't was foreign to me. I couldn't imagine the universe giving me infertility PLUS loss. You either had to deal with one or the other. No heart could withstand both.

Pregnancy is so, so, so fragile.